Pages

Sunday, April 15, 2007

Chocolate Chip Cookie Memories

We had guests in our home this past week (more about that later). So, part of my preparation was to bake cookies. I made chocolate chip! I LOVE chocolate chip cookies, but am not usually successful in making them. They never turn out the way I like them. I like them a little gooey and chewey, not hard and crispy. But when I try to make them they turn out too "cake-y". I don't think that's a real word, but the texture of them is like cake with a few chips in them. I don't like them that way. Well, my pastor's wife can cook a mean chocolate chip cookie. I finally broke down and begged her for the recipe. It turns out the secret is vanilla pudding and 1 T. of applesauce...who knew?

Anyway, I was baking cookies and took a trip down memory lane. It was the early 1990's. Her name was Kathy. We lived in a dorm, so we didn't have easy access to a kitchen, but every once in a while, we'd find a place to bake. I remember one time we made cookies in the Honor's Building kitchen to send to my then boyfriend, Bob. He had already graduated and moved back home which was very far away. Another time I remember was in DeAnn's apartment. We had just returned to JBU but classes hadn't started yet. We stayed at DeAnn's apartment that night and had a slumber party which included baking cookies. I know there were probably other times, but my memory is fading. Kathy liked her cookies (and waffles and everything else) underdone. So when we baked cookies, they had to be taken out of the oven before they were completely cooked. And she was right. The cookies were always soft and gooey -- just right.

Kathy is still a dear friend! She lives in Alaska and we've only seen each other once since the "good ol' days." But she is always close in my heart. I miss her lots, especially when I watch "Anne of Green Gables" and bake chocolate chip cookies. I love you girl!
Kathy and me in 2003.
(top picture: Kathy and me in 1992)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, my favorite! I don't like them crunchy either. I'm thinking I better get back to bed. One more thought...life seemed simpler way back when!

Robin Green said...

Aren't "old" friends the greatest. I love the history. Chocolate chip cookies are the best. Might just have to make me some now that I think about it!