Pages

Thursday, April 26, 2007

Michael W. Smith and David Meece

I was cleaning my kitchen tonight after my kiddos were asleep. The radio was on to fill the silence, motivate me, and keep me company (my hubby wasn't home). The old song, "Place in this World" by Michael W. Smith came on. That's one of those songs that brings back floods of memories and nostalgia. It took me back to 1991 when I was in college. The song was the theme of the Jr/Sr Banquet at JBU. I wasn't a Jr. or a Sr., but I was invited by my boyfriend, Bob, to attend the banquet. Every time I hear the song, I think of that night. It was fun. The banquet was not actually in the same town as our college, so there was somewhat of a drive. Bob had a David Meece tape playing in his car (a red mustang, by the way; I drooled over the car as much as I did him:D). So David Meece makes me think of Bob, too.

Speaking of David Meece: he did a concert on the campus of JBU that year. The word around campus was that they had to replace the stage floor in the Cathedral because Meece's stomping on the piano pedal with his boots messed it up. Don't know if that's true, but its a good story.

Bob and I were pretty serious for a while. He graduated that year and we tried to have a long distance relationship. We eventually went our separate ways, and I have no idea what he's doing now. I met the person God had for me several years later, and I am very grateful for my hubby, Joel. The curious part of me still wonders what Bob ended up doing. My best guess is he's farming in the Treasure State.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

I forgot about Bob! :) And I think with the David Meece thing ... he just mainly scratched up the brand new stage and there was much fussing and complaining from Mr. Smith. But I don't think they ever really fixed it. I thought it was pretty cool - he was breaking it in for us! :) I remember that concert ... I feel old. :)

Robin Green said...

What fun memories! I once stood in line all night just to have front row seat at a Michael W Smith/Amy Grant concert--this was in the late 80's! I so wish I had a scanner so I could post some old pictures like this!

Matt Gumm said...

I remember that David Meece concert. It was great! He was up there in the boots, if I remember right, because the airlines lost his luggage, and he had to wear what he had on.

You're probably right about Bob, too.

Oh, and nice hair! :)

Kelley said...

How great to see all of the JBU bloggers ...

How weird...Bryan & I were just talking about that David Meece concert not so long ago to some church friends. I loved the stomping while he played and sang -- I thought it was such a great performance -- but then I heard later that he messed up the stage doing it. Stephanie is right -- Mr. Smith was NOT happy!