Pages

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

PET PEEVE!

Please let me take a moment to rant and rave. A pet peeve of mine is people who open those little, noisy, crinkly, plastic candy wrappers during a church service. I understand that they may need a cough drop or mint, but must they choose the quietest, most reverent times of the service to unwrap it? I was greatly distracted by someone this past Sunday who chose to unwrap a very loud candy wrapper DURING THE PRAYER! I thought I would scream! Not only was it a huge distraction to me, but I allowed myself to get angry and spent the whole prayer time fuming about it. You know what? If you MUST have a cough drop or piece of candy during a quiet moment in church, place it under your leg or behind your back while you unwrap it. It traps the sound between you and the chair. I've done it. It works! That way you can have your candy without disturbing the whole service.

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent. And, I'll work on not allowing myself to become distracted by little irritating things.

3 comments:

Tonja said...

I get it! I sometimes think the candy must be so old it has stuck to the wrapper because it could not take THAT long to get the paper off a mint. And it does distract me, too. And being ADD...i'm a goner then. Another one that bugs me is kids drawing with a pencil so loudly....parents are oblivious to this one, too.

Nan said...

LOL! I'm picturing what it looks like to unwrap candy under my legs...

Oh but my kids are guilty. I also have a pet peeve about crinkly noises in church (we are so pious aren't we?!)... it's almost as bad as my pet peeve about people who rhythmically sniff their noses or cough in a pattern. Now *that* gets to me... even though the poor thing obviously doesn't do it on purpose and it's not their fault they were born with a sad set of sinuses.

On Sunday Tucker insisted on removing the perforated edge of our bulletin during the quietest moments of church. What's worse is he didn't do it in one fell movement like a firing squad. He did it slowly like a 21 gun salute. Argh!

Leah Belle said...

oh yeah, Nan, the bulletin thing happens to us too. Thanks for the laugh!