Pages

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

My First Real Project With The Cricut!

A few weeks ago, I got on a crafty kick. Remember? I made this book-page canvas wall hanging.


It was fall-themed, so I eventually had to take it down leaving a blank space on my wall.

Earlier this week, I saw a DIY post at Blue Cricket Design showing how to make a beautiful book-page canvas with a silhouette of birds. I decided to make one for the blank space on my wall!

Since I recently gained access to a Cricut machine and have downloaded the Sure Cuts A Lot program, I wanted to use it to make the silhouette instead of drawing it as done in the tutorial. I did a search for free SVG files of bird and branches and found this one. I imported the branch to Sure Cuts a Lot and manipulated it and cut it out several times, combining them to make a branch to my liking. I also cut out the bird in two different sizes to give variety.





I stayed up late into the night to finish it, because I was so excited to see the final product! I love the world that the cricut has opened, and can't wait for future projects. This one fills the blank space on my wall nicely!

8 comments:

Crystal @ A Well-Feathered Nest said...

I LOVE it! Do you love SCAL? I haven't played with my Cricut nearly as much as I'd like, but I've been thinking about buying the software with some of my Christmas money.

Unknown said...

Beautiful Leah!

Tonja said...

looks great.Another thing I like to do with those book page progect is to 'paint' a layer of tea or coffee on the finished project to age it a little.

I've been thinking of getting a Cricut. You may have just sent me right on over to making up my mind!

Happy New Year to you and yours.

Bee's hive said...

I just love seeing people just starting the Cricut addiction, and I especially LOVE to see others become addicted to SVG files. There are a few sites that list all of the free svg sites (mine included). Some of us mostly do it because you can make exactly what you need. SCAL is one of the greatest programs for crafters and there's just NO end to what you can create. Your project turned out great! Go to my site and you can see some of the forums and others that create using these FAB machines.

Life, Crafts and Whatever said...

This is so cute, and a perfect addition to that spot on your wall! I'm new to blogging, I'd love if you'd check mine out.

Liz said...

This is great!

Stacy Risenmay said...

That turned out awesome!!! One more reason I need a cricut :) Thanks for linking it up.

Tautchia said...

Loving your birdie wall art! Any chance you still have the svg files? I tried to go download them, but apparently that site has links that have been hijacked and link to a spam site :(
The bird and the branch are No longer available. Thanks!